It’s that time of year… The temperatures start to drop, leaves start to change colors, and pumpkin spice everything invades every product we purchase! And I LOVE it! Fall is by far my favorite season, and I get filled with a giddy excitement feeling the season change from summer to fall.
There are a few things I love to do at the change of a season. I wanted to share a few things that help usher in new seasons and new times in the best ways…
1. Deep clean. Oh my goodness gracious… If you are anything like me, you cannot stand when your apartment/ house/ room is not pristinely cleaned and organized. I am completely OCD and I must have things designed and placed just so or else I literally cannot relax or enjoy my spaces. I know… I have a problem. It’s a disease really. Thank God I have a patient husband who helps me and also knows when to leave me alone and let me do my thang.
But in all seriousness I think there is something to be said for once every few months, taking time to do the cleaning tasks we just don’t get to on a weekly or even monthly basis. Here are my top two priorities on my never-ending cleaning list:
- Cleaning underneath the bed, couches, end tables, dressers, or any other furniture that does not get moved. My skin literally crawls thinking about how much dust can collect underneath these pieces of furniture….. am I right? Also you never know what loose change you may find 🙂
- Re-organizing the refrigerator and pantry. These are places in your home that can just become catch-all spots for forgotten food items that really are better purposed in the trash can. Anything that is expired, or that you opened and have not touched for at least a month… those things must go. They are taking up valuable real estate and we just can’t have that. Also, one great way to keep your pantry clean is by adding a few baskets and simple storage containers. This will keep it looking esthetically pleasing, but also group similar items together and make things easier to find. (I may share more specific tips on pantry organization another time!)
2. Tweak your workout routine. With the change of a season also comes a change in weather. So why not adjust your fitness plan to the weather! For fall I like to do a mix of both indoor and outdoor exercises. To me, there is nothing better than a gorgeous fall hike or a run in the cool crisp air to get your blood flowing and to also enjoy the beautiful nature around us. You can break our your favorite leggings and a light sweatshirt or long sleeve tee and you’re good to go. I also like to balance that with indoor crunches, squats, lunges, push-ups, etc. I find a balance of both is a really nice way to complete your fitness plan. Also this may be the time to start researching gyms or health clubs near you, that way when winter comes, you can keep your momentum and progress by joining a gym.
3. Buy a new candle. I know this may seem like a silly one, but buying a candle is one of my number one ways that I treat myself. I love candles, I love burning them when it’s just me or when I have an apartment full of people. They set the mood, create a beautiful ambience and add whatever scent you want your home to be filled with. And during the beginning of fall stores are simply teeming with the best fall scents. So get yourself a fall harvest, apple orchard, pumpkin donut candle and treat yo self!
Can I give you a hint? If you’re not already doing this then you are seriously missing out… you know the stores in the malls with the beautiful name brand candles that smell amazing and come in all different beautiful jars but cost upwards of $25 for a single candle? Well those same beautiful candles can also be found at HomeGoods for half that price! If HomeGoods is a place you have yet to experience then you need to go there. Right now. Don’t feel like traveling to the store today? That’s okay, they make it so very easy! Shop from the comfort of your own home! HomeGoods.com
4. Freshen up your closet. This means a few different things. You should be going through the entirety of your closet and pulling out the things you did not wear during the past season. If it is in your summer wardrobe and you did not wear it once this summer… you should donate it. Don’t hang onto the things you’re not wearing, again it is just taking up valuable real estate. Then once that step is done, it’s time to start packing away the shorts, tank tops and flip-flops, and making room for the sweaters, jeans and booties. Keep things organized and clutter free to help putting outfits together that much easier.
5. Change your phone/ computer backgrounds. This is also a small little things I love to do every season, and actually every month! Maydesigns.com makes it so incredibly easy with their monthly FREE tech backgrounds. They offer four fabulous wallpapers for your phone and your tablet/computer at the beginning of each month. I’m telling you… it’s just one of those things I look forward to each month and they are SO cute! Not to mention you can peruse their notebooks, planners, calendars, etc. that have the best prints and colors that you love!
6. Set new goals. This is one that takes some time and some soul-searching to complete. Ultimately you need to ask yourself, “Over these next few months, what are some things I want to accomplish and complete? Are there goals from the last season that I did not meet? If so, is it because those goals were unrealistic or because I did not work hard enough to tackle them?” Be honest with yourself, and recognize what it will take to complete the tasks you set before yourself. I can promise you this, nothing feels better than looking back over the past season and knowing you accomplished things you were working towards!
Well friends, I hope this list helps you add some fun and practicality into the new season we are walking into. Don’t forget to allow each day to be purposeful and to allow each season to teach you something.
What are some things you like to do at the beginning of new seasons?